Skip to main content

Pittsford Trivia

Click here for the answers

  1. When was the Town Hall built?
  2. Who were the former owners of Oak Hill Country Club?
  3. When was the most recent Erie Canal break in Pittsford?
    And where?
  4. Where can you find the word "Hylgarth" written in the village?
  5. What was located at 19 Monroe Avenue before Messner Carpeting?
  6. What are the names of the Town founders?
  7. When did the Town of Pittsford celebrate its Bi-Centennial?
  8. How many chimneys are on the Phoenix Building?
    (located on South Main St., opposite Town Hall)
  9. What was located at 24 State Street prior to the Pittsford Community Library?
  10. What was the Hawley Farm (now Pittsford Farm Dairy) noted for?
  11. What was the previous name of Thirsty's Bar?
  12. What was located at 21 Main Street prior to the Village Hall?
  13. What kind of tree was depicted in the pre-2006 Town of Pittsford logo?
  14. What was The Grange?
  15. In what year did the last class graduate from Lincoln Avenue School?
  16. What single village structure has housed a doctor's office, attorney's office, library, nursery school, florist, travel agency, bakery, and served as a private residence?
  17. Where was the Pittsford trolley station located until the line was discontinued in 1931?
  18. Where in the village can you find a horse block?
  19. In what year was the Phoenix Hotel nearly gutted by fire?
  20. What village fixture did the Women's Christian Temperance Union donate to the Town of Pittsford in the 1930's?
  21. How did King's Bend Park get its name?
    (Currently the only town park with lodges that the public can rent)
  22. What is currently located on the original site of St. Louis Catholic Church?
  23. Where in Pittsford did a freight train and passenger train collide on the night of Baccalaureate June 23, 1907 resulting in 5 fatalities and 17 injuries?
  24. What is Penn Street known by today?
  25. Cars manufactured by what company were sold at Thornell's Garage (circa 1920)?
  26. How many cemeteries are in Pittsford?
    What are their names?
    Where are they located?
  27. Originally named Northfield, who changed the name to Pittsford in 1814?
  28. Not counting Northfield and Pittsford, by what two other names has our community been known?
  29. When did the renovated Town Hall open?
  30. What street used to be called Johnny Cake Street?
  31. Which of these figures was the total Town budget in 1895?     
    (  $2,200      $3,200      $4,200      $5,200  )
  32. Pittsford, one of the oldest communities in western New York, traces its early history to 1789 when Simon and Israel Stone purchased 13,296 acres.
    How much did they pay per acre?     (  36¢      87¢      $1.59      $3.40  )
  33. What was the relationship between Simon and Israel Stone?
    (  brothers      cousins      father and son      unrelated   )
  34. Where in the town can you find a barn that was built in 1842?
  35. What business was begun by partners Wadhams and Rand?
  36. Where was the first spadeful of earth turned to start excavation for the Erie Canal?
  37. How many miles long was the original Erie Canal?
  38. How many feet deep was the original Erie Canal?
  39. When construction began on the Erie Canal, and who was governor of New York State?
  40. What is the number of the lock at Clover Street?
  41. The Erie Canal connected what two cities?
    (The east and west end points)
  42. Construction of the canal began on July 4, 1817.
    How many years did it take to complete the project?
  43. What major construction hurdle presented itself in Pittsford?
  44. What were passenger boats on the Erie Canal called?
  45. How much did the original Erie Canal cost New York State?
  46. How many men from Pittsford served in the Civil War?
  47. What was the name of Pittsford's first subdivision?
  48. Where is the Marquis DeNonville historic marker located?
  49. Approximately how many residents does the Town of Pittsford have?
  50. An historic marker commemorating the First U.S. Patent ever issued was displayed in Pittsford.  Where was it located and why was it removed?